As you can guess this year I have chosen to make my family and friends homemade Christmas gifts that they can either eat or drink. On my blog there are already two recipes for delicious jams that can double as perfect Christmas gifts for your love ones.
This receipt I got form a very special aunt that has been making it for years. I never make any other that this one, I stick to a bullet proof receipt that is easy to make and the result is a brilliant, fine and fragrant cherry liqueur.
I bring you a recipe for a smaller amount, if you want more than one liter, just increase the ingredients. If you have a homemade plum brandy, use it, it is the best type of brandy for all homemade liqueurs. Instead of homemade brandy you can use other alcohol drinks, like vodka, especially if is cherry flavored vodka.
You can prepare this simple recipe in your backyard, in the apartment, in the home – there is not much mess and really does not take much time. Enjoy!
- 2 kg of cherries with seeds
- 1 kg of sugar
- 1 vanilla sticks (cut out in the middle)
- 1 whole lemon cut into half
- 1 pie of orange sliced in half
- 1 pear half sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- About 10-15 whole cloves
- 1.5 l brandy
- Piece or fresh ginger, peeled
- First you prepare a large jar that you previously washed. You should be with as broad neck that everything goes in the liquor can put into it.
- Wash the cherries together with seeds and prepare the other ingredients. Cut the lemon, orange and pear into half. Split open the vanilla stick. Peel the root of the ginger and cut it into smaller pieces.
- In a jar put all the ingredients and pour the brandy over it. Gently mix all.
- Close the jar firmly other with a lid or with a cellophane and rubber band, so the alcohol would not evaporate.
- Keep it in the sun for 6 weeks and occasionally mix it all together thoroughly. Brandy will eventually change color.
- After 6 weeks have passed or until the sugar is completely dissolved, drain the liqueur through a colander, then pure liquor through the funnel into a clean bottle.
1 thought on “Homemade cherry liqueur – a perfect Christmas gift for your friends”
Ooh, I love cherry liqueur. I’ve never had a go at making my own though!
LikeLiked by 1 person